Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fell Yesterday
 Login/Join

Picture of Pocatello Jim
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I fell last night. I know, not an unusual occurrence with KD but the circumstances were unusual (at least a first time for me).

I was standing (not walking, not climbing stairs, not dancing) outside supervising my three sons as they dug our older car out of the snow. I was in about 6 inches of snow explaining where they needed to dig and then I was on my butt in the snow.

The concern for me is I had no warning. No sensation of weakness or fatigue. It was like my legs just disappeared for a second.

My wife then helped me to drag my butt to the backseat door. She grabbed my belt, my son grabbed my shoulders and hoisted me into the car on my belly. Then they helped me roll over onto my back and lift me to a sitting position. After a few minutes rest, I was able to be helped into the house. Sore and weak today.

My wife is afraid to go to work today. I am concerned because I don't know how to compensate for a fall that gives no warning. I have promised to stay in my recliner all day with the cell phone next to me and only get up for the bathroom and to eat lunch.

Just when you think you adjusted...

Pocatello Jim
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Pocatello Jim:

Winter weather and extreme cold will do strange and unexpected things to our muscles.

I had a strange experience last year where due to the coldness inside a restaurant (of all places!!!), I could not feel my legs or feet. I had to be literally carried out to the car where after about half an hour of heat, things went back to normal.

It's a good idea to take it easy for a while. Keep us posted on how things turn out.
I've had similar fall experiences in warm weather. I'm guessing that I just tried to bend my leg in a "normal" way but my muscles just couldn't do that maneuver any longer. You do seem to expend a lot of energy in the fall and it does take awhile to recover.

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
Picture of Bruce
I have had this experience many times ... especially while working. Most of the time one knee will buckle and I will go down ... without warning. I am especially vulnerable if I am a little fatigued or it is cold. My muscles just will not work when it is cold and I have to be extra cautious.

I also feel you are more inclined to fall again shortly after a fall like this because your muscles have not recovered yet.

Work on your quads ... build them up slowly, but they will grow stronger. I exercise them every day and it has made a world of difference.
Same here. Once my knee(s) 'unlock' unexpectantly, I go down like a 'bag of hammers' mainly because I no longer have the leg strength to catch myself. Luckily I haven't been hurt. I've taken some pretty bad falls, especially when 'catching' a toe (foot drop) while walking foward. Instinctively I lock both arms straight out to brace my fall resulting in tremendous shock to my wrists, arms and shoulders. Fun stuff this disease of ours, eh?
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
Every once in a while, my left leg stops functioning and turns to jelly: an inevitable fall follows. I have come to recognize the warning symptoms: a tingling, like pins-and-needles in the muscles. It happens when i am tired or in cold weather. Also, there is what i call "intentional weakness", which happens when someone is watching me walk or try to navigate an obstacle.
It is avoidable in most cases, but only if you have and recognize symptoms. Your mileage may vary.
Picture of KDA Adminstrator
Sorry to hear about your fall. On top of the others who have posted I have found that if I get into a panic state like if something gives me an adrenalin rush like one of our horses getting loose as soon as I get the adrenalin rush my muscles go to mush and seem to stop functioning. This happens a lot to me. Or if I get stressed.

Glad you are ok Jim.

Terry