Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Open Topic    Handicap Assessible Homes

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handicap Assessible Homes
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
We are in the process of building a new Townhome.Progress has been very slow however it may move quickly now.Any suggestions to make this home more handicap assessbile would be appreciated.

Beverly Stoufer
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I embarked on a similar project about this time last year - didn't pan out because of out of control housing costs in my area, but the principles remain.

I documented the project here:
http://bob.heitzman.us/HomeProject01/_HomeProject.htm

If that URL doesn't survive go here then look for the Home Project link:
http://bob.heitzman.us

The project was for a manufactured home of about 1100 sq.ft. but the Universal Design techniques are applicable to all new construction and re-models. The appliances section is outdated a bit since new models come out yearly.

"Townhome" usually implies multi-story which is obviously not a good idea for those with limited mobility.

If you have any control over floor plan a wide open plan with minimal number of 32"+ doors is the way to go IMO. In my home project I tried to eliminate walls, hallways, and built-in furniture. A common mistake I see in many new designs is too much built-in cabinetry especially in the bathrooms. You can easily add freestanding cabinetry if it is really need and have better control over the floor space. Ditto for dining areas plus there are often extra walls that limit access.

Getting cooperation from developers may be difficult. At least in my area a custom built home is out of reach for all but the super rich. I have thought that the way to go for a development is to get in early and convince the developer to put in the minimal walls and rooms to pass code requirements using the cheapest fixtures and minimal cabinetry. (Don’t expect a discount.) The new owner could then re-model the brand new home to be accessible. A sad state of affairs…

Feel free to ask any questions or delve into new areas.

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
Picture of Bruce
There is a good guide provided by AARP called, "The Do-able Renewable Home - Making your home fit your needs" [Publi #: PF3725 (1097)-D12470]. It is written by John P.S. Salmen, AIA.

My copy was published in 1994 and I haven't checked to see if there is a newer version. The 43 page guide provides a good deal of information about converting your home and also things to consider before converting or building. I have used it several times.

Table of Contents
1. Physical Abilities of the Aging Body
2. New Concepts of Accessibility
3. Doors
4. Stairs and Ramps
5. Bathrooms
6. Kitchens
7. Resources
Thanks Bruce...that is just what I have been looking for. I will let you know if I find it.
Check here for AARP Universal Design information:

http://www.aarp.org/families/home_design/

Universal Design is a buzz phrased that is used to mask accessibility which has a stigma attached by the temporarily abled.

*** Not an endorsement for the AARP which I believe sold out America with their opposition to Social Security reform due to their left wing bias. I fully expect they will oppose Medicare reform, again due to bias, and not due to the facts surrounding the program.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bob Heitzman,

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
I was able to find The Do-able Renewable Home by using Google and typing AARP The Do-Able Renewable Home. It was updated Oct. 2005 :>
I don't know how it was changed...I am hoping
the resource list is updated.