Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exercise and accupunture
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi all

It’s a little difficult to make the chats as it’s about 3.00am when they kick off in the US. I catch up with the transcripts.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with acupuncture as some for of intervention. I have found some alternative treatment, especially reflexology to be helpful and others to be a waste of my time.

The exercise issue is an interesting one. I was swimming and at the gym about three days to four days a week and it was really helping. Quite an active regime but not to the point I really stressed muscles. 6 weeks travelling the states and having big US breakfasts (Vegas is a killer!) and no exercise saw me put on 8 kg (I’m no good on the conversion thing).

Getting back into the gym has proved to be a real positive, slowly regaining the strength in my legs where the real effect of my KD is.

I can only suggest to people do it gently but do it!
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Peter, thank you for your comments. I have used accu-pressure and found it to be helpful for specific issues. I have not used accu-puncture. I have also found Qigong to be very helpful.

I couldn't agree with you more about exercise. It is extremely beneficial to keep the motor neurons firing. Stretching is also very beneficial ... especially when you are less active. It can help retain muscle length and improve blood flow.
Hi Bruce
Thanks for your comments. I tried Qidong and struggled with the leg exercises. The bending of the knees resulted in me slowly sinking to the floor! Not very gracious although it did elicit some rude comments from my wife about becoming grounded!

Your comments about acupressure, it supports my results with reflexology which if it does noting else is a great way for the feet to spend ½ an hour. I find it stops the cramping and ‘turning in’ of my toes

I’m going to give acupuncture a go if I can get in to see the practitioner. Here in little old Tasmania at the bottom of the world, alternate medicine can be hard to come by and shes booked until mid November

I’ll keep you all posted.
I’ve now had two sessions with my acupuncturist and wanted to relay my outcomes. I really want to stress that they are only my experiences and that other people may have totally different outcomes.

The gentleman explained that he thought acupuncture would have limited application but thought we should give it a couple of goes and then review. While a very painful experience, (similar to getting tested for motor neuron!) I feel more strength in my legs and feet.

The most significant thing I experienced was warm feet for the first time in a long time. Now in the USA at this time of year, I imagine this would be important! He explained this was due to increased blood flow and more nerve activity. Hey, there is 2000 years of experience here, who am I to argue!

My floppy feet diminished significantly for 2- 3 days and while I still am a slow walker, I don’t feel anywhere as near as ‘staggery’ as I did.

He is suggesting that the treatment is complimented by herbal remedies aimed at the liver as this is the source of re vitalizing blood, something he thinks is vital in carrying energy to muscles. I’m awaiting this with interest!

So as I said at the start, this is my experience and other may find quite different things. However if nothing else warm feet is a great relief!

I’d be interested in hearing other people’s experiences
I know that depending on the treatment, you shouldn't workout after an acupuncture treatment, but I'm wondering if it's ok to workout before doing a treatment, and I'd also like to know if doing acupuncture after workouts can help you lose weight faster?
Picture of Bruce
Peter, thanks for the update. Warm feet would be nice ... anytime. I have found that even if my feet are warm to the touch, they still feel cold. It was explained to me that this is neuropathy in action.

Keep us appraised of any other results ... both positive and negative.