Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shower Stool very helpful
 Login/Join

Picture of Bruce
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
As I age, I find my legs are not as strong and I am more concerned with having a serious fall especially when showering. I use grab bars in the shower and that helps, but in the last few months I still didn't feel totally safe. I found my showers did not last as long as I would have wanted and I couldn't safely wash my lower legs and feet. Since I am 6'2, I needed something that would be easy for me to sit down on and get up from. I just purchased a shower stool with back and arms. The seat height can range from 17" to 27". I really like it and feel much more comfortable showering. Being able to use both hands without fear of falling has been wonderful. Even, better is not having to rush.
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I second that! Please post a URL to the chair - it is very hard to find shower chairs that go that high. The typical height is too short for taller folks.

I recently purchased a transfer bench with a slide/swivel seat. link
I also purchased the optional leg extensions for more height. It can be used with tubs and large showers. Very well made in the USA. (I think it was available via the KDA shopping link to Amazon.com) Problem to overcome is a shower curtain - I just bough a cheap linen liner and cut two splits to fit over the bench - works fine.

Another related purchase I am happy with is a hand held shower by Moen. Nice light weight. long hose. Handle only shuts off to trickle but other wise a very nice product. Got mine at HSN best price and free shipping.

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
Picture of Bruce
The stool I am using is a Drive Medical Equipment Model # 12455. The link is Drive Stool.
Bruce,
How rust resistant is the stool you use in the shower?
Picture of Bruce
It is not perfect, but I am using it almost every day and do not wipe it down afterward. After 3½ years of use, it is showing a few signs of rust in the height adjustment holes on the legs. The rest of the chair is a white finish coat or stainless steel and you wouldn't know by looking at it that it wasn't brand new.

Update (May 25, 2009). One of the stools height adjustable pins rusted out this last week. I was able to put a screw through the hole and everything is fine again. If I were to replace this chair, I would cover the holes and pins with waterproof tape to minimize the chance of rusting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,
Bruce, I have used a shower stool fitted with a toilet seat instead of the regular seat. It makes it wuch easier to wash the rude bits.
I bought the Drive Medical chair for use in my shower several months ago. It has a bad corrosion problem especially in the legs. It took it apart, cleaned it up and let it dry, then wrapped the legs and exposed joints with electrical tape. It took care of the problem. The chair works great for me.
<Bob>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
We have a shower chair too. Not long after we placed it, I fell and was "caught" by the chair. Without it, I may have been terribly hurt.