Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoes and cramps
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I wanted to pass on an experience I have had with wearing a new type of shoe. I purchased these shoes 12 months ago before an overseas trip. These shoes are marketed in Australia as MBT Shoes (the anti-shoe). The sole of these shoes are rounded and initially you feel like you are walking on 2 balls and it takes a while to get used to. Initially I made sure I had my walking stick with me in case I lost my balance. Within a couple of days I was more confident with them and although I kept my stick with me I didn't need to use it anymore than with my normal shoes.

Now the benefits of these to me were:
- Less cramp. Previously after a fair amount of walking during the day I could guarantee a bout or 2 of cramp during that night. When wearing these shoes my cramp sessions have disappeared.

- Less fatigue. Although I still need to rest regularly I can stay on my feet for much longer and my legs do not tire as quickly. This is particularly noticeable when standing or walking on a hard surface such as concrete or pavements.

- More comfort. These shoes are incredibly comfortable.

These shoes are quite expensive, but I would recommend the investment. After a year they show no signs of wear with stitching all intact.

They may not suit all people but my experience has been very positive. Hopefully they are available world-wide

DenisL
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
quote:
MBT Shoes

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I went on line and found the following information that others might find useful.

Do MBT Shoes Really Work

MBT - THe Anti-Shoe

MBT Clearance Sale

Unfortunately, I do not walk enough any more to even wear out a pair of tennis shoes, but others still walking regularly might find them helpful.

Thanks again for sharing.
Picture of Lolo
I bought shoes similar to these on Ebay for as a daily deal for just $39.99 and free shipping.

My question would be, do you have a dropped foot or feet? I think my spouse might trip wearing these shoes?

God is the greatest physician of all.
Picture of Bruce
Lois, the medical issue you mentioned is caused by weakness in the calf, ankle and foot muscles. We have some control (to a degree anyway) over that by exercising those muscles regularly. A physical therapist can teach your husband the proper exercises and there are also some quality AFO devices that keep the toes/foot from dropping.
Picture of Lolo
His left foot dropped before he got his diagnosis. He does have AFO's but won't wear them as he says they are too uncomfortable. I doubt they would fit now anyway as he has lost so much "girth" in his leg muscles. Bob falls a lot but has learned how to roll. I noticed this past week that his ankle is REALLY turned in, more than it used to be. Flat feet, turned ankles and drop foot. All a recipe to fall.

Picture of Bruce
Lois, consider having Bob see a physical therapist. It was the best move I ever made (my doctor recommended it). It is over three years since I started my current program (see Smart Exercise Guide on the KDA website or my blog). I am stronger today than I was three years ago. I exercise every day ... every other day for 60-80 minutes and the easy days are 15-20 minutes.
Picture of Lolo
I'll tell him. We really don't have the funds to go to therapy, we'll see. Bob moves everyday by doing yard work, walking in a store, something. He seems yo never sit still. He is convinced he isn't in a chair permanently because of his activity and I agree. Can you do too much activity with KD? I am always worried he does too much!

I notice that Lois has posted that she bought a pair for $39. After reading some of Bruce's info addresses I wonder whether they would be the genuine article. I seems to be far too cheap, as the best deal on available normally is around $120 on special. The rec. retail for my shoes was around $350.

DenisL
<Bob>
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Mine probably are not name brand but they look the same. Mine are comfortable and seem well made.
I just found sketchers on Ebay this morning for $39.99.