Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Open Topic    Burning pain in heels while sleeping

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burning pain in heels while sleeping
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Recently (the last two nights) I've experienced a burning aching sensation in one or both heels (noticeably enough to wake me up). It came and went throughout the night. Gently kneading my heel(s) seemed to help. I assume it's neuropathically related - just another wonderful KD affectation? Anybody else experiencing this?
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Hi Mike,

I haven't experienced the heel ache you describe. I have had a neuropathic tingling sensation (like pins and needles) in my feet at night.

There is a medication called gabapentin that is used for neuropathic pain. It might be worthwhile talking to your doctor about whether that's appropriate for you.
Picture of Bruce
Mike, I have experienced this also. My doctor said it was a form of neuropathy. He commented that if it ever got to a point where I could not sleep because of it, there is a medication that might help (see Dan's comment above).

For now I find it controllable. I placed a small soft pillow under my knee, calf and heel and it corrected the problem. I now use it every night. Give it a try and see if it helps. If not, talk with your doctor about a possible treatment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bruce,
Thanks Bruce (and Dan). Fortunately it has only happened a couple of times and not in the last week or so. I'll try the pillow. Smiler
Picture of Bruce
Mike, the pain showed up for me about three years ago. I tried massage, but that didn't seem to help. The soft pillow made all the difference and for the last two years I haven't experienced any pain in the heel. Good luck!