Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Open Topic    Bariatric Surgery on KD pacients

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bariatric Surgery on KD pacients
 Login/Join

posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
Are there any known studies about bariatric surgery on KD pacients?
I'm a 44 years old male carrier, weighting 111 Kg and this massive load is affecting my dialy chores. Nutritional follow-up without P.E. are not helping and my last known ressource is a bariatric by-pass.

Question:
Are there any known studies about bariatric surgery on KD pacients?

Choices:
Yes
No

Picture of ToddAllen
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
I did a quick search but didn't find anything on KD patients having bariatric surgery. Here is a little info on general surgical concerns with KD: https://kennedysdisease.org/li...concerns-anesthetics

What diets have you tried? I got heavier following a high carb low fat vegetarian diet seeking health. I did not gain a lot of weight because I was losing muscle but I was probably about 40% body fat at my worst. I was prediabetic with a lot of symptoms of type 2 and saw rapid improvement when I cut out processed foods with refined sugars and starches. I transitioned to a keto diet which I've been following ever since about 8 years now.
I concur with Todd on Keto diet. There is a spectrum on the amount of carbs per day: Low Carb <100, what I call Very Low carb <50, Keto <20, to carnivore. I suggest folks start at Low Carb while learning "what is a carb" and can I live without carbs. If you can't stick with Low Carb for a few weeks you may have to deal with some food addiction issues first. Dr. Cywes the #CarbAddictionDoc on YouTube is a good starting point for addiction and low carb diets.

@dietdoctor on YT has some meals plans/recipes - most under subscription.

Keto/Carnivore is currently being suppressed on YT so you will see a lot of negative videos. See Dr. Eric Westman - Adapt Your Life @AdaptYourLife for debunking the negative disinformation.

Keto – Carnivore YouTube sources:

Practicing Clinicians or Research Scientists
Dr. Eric Westman - Adapt Your Life @AdaptYourLife
Dr. Cywes the #CarbAddictionDoc
Dr. Sten Ekberg @drekberg
Amy Berger - Keto Without the Crazy@amyberger-ketowithoutthecrazy
KenDBerryMD @KenDBerryMD
Dr. Boz [Annette Bosworth, MD] @DoctorBoz
Jason Fung @drjasonfung

Collections:
Metabolic Health Summit @MetabolicHealthSummit
Levels @LevelsHealth
Diet Doctor @dietdoctor

=================
email:rheitzman at gmail
Picture of ToddAllen
Excellent post Bob, I hope you have been doing well. I have had a lot of ups and downs but my over all trend is good.