Home Login/Join My Space Help Members Forums Search Today's Active Topics New Since Last Visit
Kennedys Disease Association Homepage    Kennedys Disease Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion  Hop To Forums  Open Topic    Prenatal Thalidomide Exposure and SBMA

Moderators: Bruce, SusanneW
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prenatal Thalidomide Exposure and SBMA
 Login/Join

Picture of Pocatello Jim
posted   Reply With QuoteReport This Post  
I know that this is a discussion to have with my neurologist, but also wanted to post this question here. I learned this week that my mother used thalidomide to control morning sickness during her pregnancy with me. I was not born with any of the birth defects associated with thalidomide babies. But I did find a British study of people with epilepsy who had been exposed to Thalidomide in the womb and there was a correlation between thalidomide exposure and the severity of epilepsy symptoms.

I am wondering then if there may be a similar correlation between SBMA progression and in utero Thalidomide exposure?

I am still trying to figure out why my progression has been so fast. My neurologist said my CAG repeats were not that long, so that is not it. Anyway, I know in the end, why does not matter, but from time to time, I still ask.

Pocatello Jim
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Jim, I will ask a member of our SRB to respond to your question.

Merry Christmas
Picture of Bruce
posted   Hide PostReply With QuoteReport This Post  
Jim, here is the response from Dr. Taylor:

"I am unaware of any connection and find it difficult to imagine a theoretical connection, but cannot rule it out either. I'd be interested in knowing the repeat length and the clinical history if Mr. Pocatello is inclined. Paul"